We believe the insurance industry is behind the times, and is overdue for some slick technology upgrades. Breeze's mission is to turn the traditional paper application and underwriting processes for insurance into a digital experience. We built our technology to provide the flexibility of filling out an application without having to... well, fill out an application.
We are currently looking for highly talented and motivated people to help us get to the next level. We are specifically looking for a Senior Backend Engineer who can help us craft our back-end code to be as awesome, efficient, and performant as it can be.
Are you up for the challenge?
Our Dev Team
- Builds .NET Core and Angular apps that live on Azure
- Believes in writing top-notch, well-tested code
- Loves to provide and receive feedback
- Plans new features to build, and how best to build them
- Works together and has each others' backs when s#!+ goes wrong
- Appreciates thoughtful design from the UI to the database
- Love to code. Obviously, this is a requirement for the job. If you don't love it, then this isn't the right place for you. We want you to nerd out with us about the details of our stack.
- Have a minimum of 5 years experience. We put the word "Senior" in the title for a reason. We are specifically looking for someone who can get up to speed quickly, and who is able to own their work. We expect you to be comfortable making technical decisions and executing on those decisions, while still being capable of delivering well-crafted, well-tested, elegant code.
- Are intrigued by tough problems. Critical thinking and problem solving is a must-have skill for this position; when complicated problems are put in front you, we need to be able to trust that you’ll find a solution. Most of what you will do will require you not only to figure out what you need to build, but also how to do it in a testable, maintainable, and efficient way. You will be required to identify, assess, and decide on trade-offs of your approach.
- Have experience with web technologies. This position does not require experience with a major front-end framework (React, Angular, Vue.js, etc.), but it does help if you have it. We also prefer candidates who are versed in the .NET ecosystem. You will be required to stand up and maintain new API endpoints, and help with performance issues from the browser down to the database.
- Are no stranger to cloud technologies. We use Azure to host all of our production systems, and we require experience using a major cloud provider (Azure, AWS, Google Cloud, DigitalOcean, etc.). Experience setting up and maintaining compute resources, databases, storage accounts, etc. is required.
- Like to build clean, performant apps. Users hate to wait for an app to respond, and our CTO hates messy, unmaintainable code. We believe both of those things can be avoided if the team strives for the same standards. Since our team is growing, you will have an opportunity to help us craft and follow those standards as we reach our goals.
- Understand security best practices. We work with and store sensitive data, and security needs to be considered in every feature we build. As a senior engineer, you will need to understand and implement security best practices, consider security in planning and code reviews, and help respond if a security incident occurs. This includes, but is not limited to, database encryption techniques, authentication and authorization technologies (JWT, OAuth2, etc.), and key and secret management.
- Have experience with CI/CD and DevOps tools. We require experience with CI/CD and various DevOps tools, like Azure DevOps, GitHub Actions, Terraform, etc.
- Possess excellent written and verbal skills. Whether you're writing an email, chatting with a team member, or explaining a bug to our CEO, you will need to be able to communicate clearly. Language allows the entire team to get and remain on the same page.
- Will give you what you need. We believe you just want to do your job, so we'll do our best to give you what you need, and then get out of your way. Here are some of the perks you'll have: a shiny new laptop, an unlimited vacation policy, ability to work remotely whenever you want, casual dress code, quarterly team dinners (once COVID is over), and a beer/wine/whatever fridge.
- Promises to challenge you. We believe we're building some cool things, and cool things aren't built without a challenge.
- Is extremely data-driven. We love data, and we're constantly checking our key metrics to make sure we're building the right things. We utilize dashboards, analytics tools, etc. in our decision-making process. It guides just about everything we do and build.
- Wants to hire you. If you've made it this far and think this is the job for you, then why haven't you hit that apply button yet??
Diversity at Breeze
Breeze is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion. We want you to be you, and we'll love you for it.